Re: NTLK MP130 Won't Backup, System Soup Corrupted!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 09:46:57 CDT

SteveCraft wrote:

> I installed SBM and ran the doctor and cleaner and Find still doesn't work
> (error -48221). I am now looking at the registry tweaker but am scared I
> will really hurt something....
>
> If you have any other ideas/suggestions, I'm all ears!
>
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
> `
> `I would suggest that you get SBM Utilities, from SoftwareBuro Mueller.
> `This application comes with a very nice soup editor. In addition, it has
> `a "Doctor" module that can troubleshoot problems and repair it. Before
> `attempting anything, I would use it and give it a try.

Steve,

I'm not sure I remember this -48221 associated with Find. So, what
you're saying, if I follow correctly, is that when you try to use Find,
you get the error?

-48221 is "reference to a deactivated package". That means some package
left something behind, after you removed it or froze it. Do you have any
frozen package, BTW? If so, did you try thawing them and trying again?

Or you could try the exact opposite: freeze everything that's not in the
Newton's ROM and try again. I'm assuming that you remove the external
card (if any) before trying the backup, right?

Another thing you may want to try is to make a backup on your external
card using SBM Utilities (making sure you don't backup the system
information, if you can). Then, you could do a hard reset (which will
completely erase the internal memory of your MP130), then restore
everything, but the system soup (system information).

You would have to re-select the preferences for almost all programs, and
you might have to re-enter any registration code you got with a 3rd
party package. In return, you would get back a clean system soup, and
probably would recover some wasted storage space in the internal memory.
If you never did a hard reset, there's probably some fragmentation. In
addition, almost every program you did try on your Newton did leave some
kind of preferences in the system soup, even if you deleted those
packages after trying them. The system soup becoming larger, it's most
likely that some corruption can occur. So, forcing the re-build of the
system soup is a good thing, from time to time, specially if you like to
try things.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com