Re: NTLK 56k / Ethernet card for eMate?

From: Victor Rehorst (chuma@chuma.org)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 22:42:15 CDT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, CM Stimpson wrote:

> Anyone know of a cost-effective, 56k / Ethernet card solution for the Newton
> that WORKS WELL? (Specifically the eMate?)

You probably won't find a combo card that will support both functions
anymore.

> If not, then 1) In your opinion, what's the best 10 and/or 100 Base-T
> Ethernet card for the eMate / Newton? (Please take both value and
> efficiency into consideration.)

D-Link DE-660s are cheap and plentiful, and support 10base2 but have the
large dongle which can be annoying and are (apparently) power-hungry.

3Coms are pretty standard, seemingly plentiful on eBay and elsewhere
(actually, I have a few lying around, does someone want one?)

Proxim RangeLAN2 is just way cool to use: I love walking around the house,
viewing pages with Newt's Cape or sending e-mail with SimpleMail without
wires. An expensive yet useful toy.

I haven't owned anything else: other people will probably chime in with
their advice.

> (Basically, what I'm asking here, is -- with email also -- how significant
> is the speed increase from 36.6 to 56k or 10 Base-T on an eMate?)

>From modem to Ethernet is a significant speed increase (assuming you're
connecting something good and fast like cable modem or DSL).

--
Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | chuma@chuma.org
Secretary, CASU & CPES College Governments, University of Guelph, Canada