Re: NTLK Brainwipes

From: MYQ Y. Q. LARSON (MYQ@cc.usu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 14:59:52 EST

>What's the best procedure for doing a brainwipe? I usually:
>(1) Do a full back up to a card (or two, just to be safe)
>(2) Hard reset
>(3) Restore from card
>
>Am I doing this right? I always wondered if doing a complete restore from a
>card would somehow just "copy" the conditions that existed prior to the wipe
>(including any problems).
>(Who would be overjoyed if he could figure out why NCU constantly crashes
>during backups, forcing him to do all backups to a flash card.)

Backing up and restoring from a memory card is the fastest and safest way to do
it. Check your free internal space before and after a "brainwipe" and you'll
see that you recovered space. I think backing up to a card isn't just a carbon
copy, but copies each soup and program one at a time, kind of like how disk
defragmenters work. I think you're doing a great job. I too can't ever back
up with NCU. That's fine for my internal store as I bought a 4 meg card just
for the purpose of backing up, however, I have never been able to back up my 24
meg memory card. Hope that doesn't fail. I do an internal "brainwipe" every
3-6 months, depending on how much you are reading and writing to the memory. I
receive a lot of email on mine which tends to fragment the memory a lot.

myq

--
	Myq Larson  /  Stable Isotope Analysis  \   myq@cc.usu.edu
	.'.'.'.'.'  \   Utah State University   /  435.713.4245 (h)

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!