Re: NTLK Heap vs. Storage

From: Michael Strange (mstrange@americainter.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 14:57:02 EDT

Hi,

> Where are you getting those numbers? Do I understand that when you say you

For the Heap memory, I used AVI's Backdrop the number by the chip icon on
the upper right. I restared without apps, then activated that one. The
number I got was 159188. I assume that is bytes. SO I divided by 1024 and
got 155k. Since the Heap is supposed to be 1000k, I subtracted the 155k
from 1000k to get the 845k used by the system. Is this not correct?

> removed your cards, that you didn't install *ANY* package on the internal
store?

Correct. BUT Then I installed AVI's Backdrop, sorry for leaving that out,
but since it was only one app. I did not think it would eat much heap in
regards to the base numbers. But other than that, it was bare.

> Total System RAM is usually 3984K on a MP2100, which usually leave about
400K
> free heap. I don't know what is the formula to determine how much is kept
by the

That is the number I am unsure of...the 400k. do you mean that if I add 3
MEG of heap to my UMP2k, I only get 400k of ram to use? That does not seem
right. Of course, I am really a moron when it comes to this. I never
really paid attention with my MP120. Then when Apple killed the platform, I
went to a Palm III, then a Palm IIIx. When the batteries died on my Palm
during a long trip, and I lost my data....I gave it to my GF and went back
to the 120. I missed the backlight, so on to EBAY, got a NEW 130, got the
fever again....and now I own a UMP2k (within 1 month of my MP130). So, I am
reading the faqs (have them in newtbook format), searching the web, etc.
Trying to understand this better.

> system and how much is provided to the applications running. But,
depending on
> the internal memory you have, the numbers will vary. It's not a fixed
number,
> but a number generated by some formula. The only way to find how much free
heap
> you have is by using some third party tool. There are a lot of them that
can
> provide that.

What are generally the better tools?

> Assuming you're looking at the numbers from Extras->Memory Info, the
"used" and
> "free" values are for storage space only. The only information relating to
heap
> that you have there is the amount of RAM the system has, which is usually
3984K
> for a MP2100 or an upgraded MP2000. Again, of this, only a small fraction
is
> given to the running applications (around 400K).

That is where I got the storage numbers. I understand that is not heap.
The FAQ does not really cover this well. Is there a technical journal or
document somewhere?

Michael

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!