Re: NTLK Heap vs. Storage

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 15:25:12 EDT

Michael Strange wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Where are you getting those numbers? Do I understand that when you say you
>
> For the Heap memory, I used AVI's Backdrop the number by the chip icon on
> the upper right. I restared without apps, then activated that one. The
> number I got was 159188. I assume that is bytes. SO I divided by 1024 and
> got 155k. Since the Heap is supposed to be 1000k, I subtracted the 155k
> from 1000k to get the 845k used by the system. Is this not correct?

No, that is not correct. You can't have only 155K of free heap. On my 2100, with
AVI's backdrop, DashBoard and a plethora of packages, I still manage to have
around 260K of free heap, as shown by Avi's Backdrop and also by DashBoard. So,
there is obviously something wrong, unless you're talking about a 2000. I was
under the impression that you had upgraded your 2000 to a 2100.

> > removed your cards, that you didn't install *ANY* package on the internal
> store?
>
> Correct. BUT Then I installed AVI's Backdrop, sorry for leaving that out,
> but since it was only one app. I did not think it would eat much heap in
> regards to the base numbers. But other than that, it was bare.
>
> > Total System RAM is usually 3984K on a MP2100, which usually leave about
> 400K
> > free heap. I don't know what is the formula to determine how much is kept
> by the
>
> That is the number I am unsure of...the 400k. do you mean that if I add 3
> MEG of heap to my UMP2k, I only get 400k of ram to use? That does not seem
> right. Of course, I am really a moron when it comes to this. I never
> really paid attention with my MP120. Then when Apple killed the platform, I
> went to a Palm III, then a Palm IIIx. When the batteries died on my Palm
> during a long trip, and I lost my data....I gave it to my GF and went back
> to the 120. I missed the backlight, so on to EBAY, got a NEW 130, got the
> fever again....and now I own a UMP2k (within 1 month of my MP130). So, I am
> reading the faqs (have them in newtbook format), searching the web, etc.
> Trying to understand this better.

That's it! Adding 3 times the memory your original MP2000 had will roughly give
you about 3 times as much heap you had on your MP2000, which was, if I remember
correctly, something around 110K. So, 400K is a big increase of 300K! 3 times as
much!

> > system and how much is provided to the applications running. But,
> depending on
> > the internal memory you have, the numbers will vary. It's not a fixed
> number,
> > but a number generated by some formula. The only way to find how much free
> heap
> > you have is by using some third party tool. There are a lot of them that
> can
> > provide that.
>
> What are generally the better tools?

Well, AVI's backdrop is fine. I was only assuming that you had *NO* package
installed...

> > Assuming you're looking at the numbers from Extras->Memory Info, the
> "used" and
> > "free" values are for storage space only. The only information relating to
> heap
> > that you have there is the amount of RAM the system has, which is usually
> 3984K
> > for a MP2100 or an upgraded MP2000. Again, of this, only a small fraction
> is
> > given to the running applications (around 400K).
>
> That is where I got the storage numbers. I understand that is not heap.
> The FAQ does not really cover this well. Is there a technical journal or
> document somewhere?

Well, when it says System RAM: 3984K, that's heap. Except that the system uses
most of it.

Hmmm. I don't know where you could find that. I've learned by reading and
hearing what others said. I might have read some explanantions somewhere a very
long time ago, so that I don't remember anymore.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
           ********** Usual disclaimers apply **********

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!