Re: [NTLK] Apple's TIL retired

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 22:49:16 EDT

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 8/6/01 4:45 PM, the entity known
as C.W. Otto Sohn transmitted the following from oky_at_avalon.net:

> Apple has retired its Tech Info Library (and TIL Archive) and replaced it
> with this link:
>
> <http://karchive.info.apple.com/>
>
> where all Newton MessagePad and eMate articles can be accessed now. It's a
> drag and cumbersome because there is no Newton Index any longer (by
> product, by OS version, etc.). That's why "Steve" and Apple call it LEGACY.
>
> Well, I guess we have to live with it.
>

> Here's what "Steve" wrote me when I complained a couple of days ago:
>
> *****
>
> At 2:41 PM -0500 8/6/01, Apple wrote:
>> RE: TIL Tech Info Library
>>
>> C.W,
>>
>> Thank you for reporting this error. We are aware of this issue and we are
>> working on correcting it. (...).
>>
>> The TIL was retired on August 2, 2001. The Knowledge Base contains all
>> information for Power Macintosh G3 products (Nov. 97) and forward. All
>> legacy products can be located in the Knowledge Archive at:
>> karchive.info.apple.com
>>
>> Regards,
>> - Steve

Astounding, isn't it? One of the things that was always in Apple's favor
was that the company recognized how long their machines last and offered a
reasonable amount of support for the older machines. I didn't retire my
Plus until well after the PPC's appeared (and only then because a HD died...
The Plus still sits on a shelf, looking forlorn.). Now, let's see...
anything prior to G3's are being virtually cut loose??? How shortsighted!

- Eric.