Re: [NTLK] wearing out internal memory? (longish)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 10:30:20 EDT

on or about 8/7/01 10:13 AM, the following may or may not have been typed by
Victor Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net:

>> It is not the Newton's OS that marks bad blocks, it is the flash circuitry
>> itself. When a block "dies" it is marked bad. This is transparent to the
>> overlying OS, which is never aware that anything has happened.
>
> ....except that there will be less free space available, right?

The key there is "What is the block size?" If it's some reasonable size (~
1K) then I expect you'll never notice the loss of something smaller than one
percent of your memory. (unless, of course, something very important is
there...)

- Eric.