Re: [NTLK] Apple's TIL retired - encore II

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 16:10:59 EDT

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, C.W. Otto Sohn wrote:

> Well, sure, you CAN get SOME of the old TIL articles that way (using
> "search" with Knowledge Archive) but still, anything that returns something
> like: ".../article.html?artnum=n12784" is per se NOT static URL (notice the
> "?" before "artnum=..."). There are so many Newton (and other) articles
> that used to be on TIL that are no longer accessible with Knowledge
> Archive. BTW: A static URL would be something like this: "...
> /techinfo.nsf/artnum/n12784" (no "?", no "=", etc.).

It's impossible to tell just from the structure of the URL whether or not
a page is statically served or dynamically generated. Just because the
URL is like this:

http://www.newtontalk.net/index.html

does not guarantee that part of or the entire document hasn't been
generated by a program, either through an SSI, or general web server
configuration wizardry. Unless you were buddy-buddy with a loose-lipped
Apple webmaster, there is no way to tell if this:

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n12784

is static or dynamic. And it really only matters if the web server is
changed.

> As I also pointed out earlier: in TIL you could BROWSE the Newton-relevant
> articles (which used to give you a hierarchical menu).
<snip>
> THAT REALLY WAS USEFUL.

I agree with you here.

> Joost, can you recall how many TIL articles you had linked on your website?
> It was definitely way more than the few that Apple's Knowledge Archive
> returns with "search".

Searching karchive for 'newton' yields 146 results.
Searching karchive for 'knmp' yields 116 results.

Were there really more than that?

> Come on, Apple screwed that up pretty badly. Try using Knowledge Archive,
> search for "newton", open an article and try to click a link in that
> article. Chances are that this link (which still links to a non-existing
> static address) returns you to the Knowledge Archive (or even Knowledge
> Base) homepage.

I haven't found any like that... It was pretty stupid for Apple to
entirely gut and destroy the www.newton.com and related sites.

> other non-Apple groups/companies) now need to re-write all their former TIL
> links. Is this really necessary? Well, even Apple should do re-linking

Well, do you want me to write a Perl script that fixes all of the links
in a file? Should take me about 10 minutes, tops.