Re: [NTLK] new reader with big problem

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 11:40:34 EDT

On Friday, August 10, 2001, at 10:30 AM, PSorrells_at_aol.com wrote:

> I do get the message on the PC " Connection Status Connected to Newton
> Device "Andrew" using port COM1"
>
> Then I am using the box in the middle row that says---
> Move Information to your desktop computer
> and select the box----Newton Works Export
>
> Then I get a list of all the files on the eMate, pick one to export get
> the
> message on the PC "preparing for export" and immediately
> "Disconnecting" and
> then the error message about communication error (-1).
>
> I am afraid that I don't know what you mean about installing a package
> to see
> if that works??? My son has had the eMate for 4 years of high school
> and has
> used it to take notes in class, transfer them to his computer at home
> and
> print them. Also, he took tests on it and printed to Apple printers at
> school. We don't have experience with its many features which I hope
> he will
> get into in college. I appreciate your help and hope you can tell me
> what to
> do to install a package???

Installing a package means installing a new application on the eMate.
But, I think that whenever you're trying any kind of export, NCU does a
backup, not sure if it's a full or partial one, but it looks like it's
doing a backup. If you would try to backup, I'm pretty sure you would
get the same error. This might be because you're using a very fast
computer (you're saying you just received the computer). Many people,
including me, had connection problems because somehow, the computer is
too fast and NCU cannot handle the flow of data coming from the serial
port. There is a little application on UNNA called "SlowDown.exe" that
I've been using successfully to slow down my new Pentium III 600 MHz, so
that I was able to perform a successful backup. If you can do a backup,
then most likely you'll be able to do any kind of export. If you try
SlowDown.exe, start with the lowest settings, or the slowest. Then, if
you have time and feel adventurous, try to increase the speed up to the
point where you get this connection error. That's what I did and I was
able to get a little faster execution speed after fiddling with the
controls a little bit.

-Laurent.