Re: [NTLK] new reader with big problem

From: PSorrells_at_aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 10:30:13 EDT

I do get the message on the PC " Connection Status Connected to Newton
Device "Andrew" using port COM1"

Then I am using the box in the middle row that says---
    Move Information to your desktop computer
and select the box----Newton Works Export

Then I get a list of all the files on the eMate, pick one to export get the
message on the PC "preparing for export" and immediately "Disconnecting" and
then the error message about communication error (-1).

I am afraid that I don't know what you mean about installing a package to see
if that works??? My son has had the eMate for 4 years of high school and has
used it to take notes in class, transfer them to his computer at home and
print them. Also, he took tests on it and printed to Apple printers at
school. We don't have experience with its many features which I hope he will
get into in college. I appreciate your help and hope you can tell me what to
do to install a package???

Desperate Mom Vicki

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 PSorrells_at_aol.com wrote:

> I have been reading the newtontalk list for only a short time. My
> question is if anyone has been able to connect their eMate to a PC running
> Windows 2000. Our son will be going to college in a week and the new
> computer just arrived and I can't get it to work with his eMate!!!
>
> I am using Newton Connection Utilities. It seems to dock ok, but after
> you select a file to transfer to the PC, you get this message on the PC...

After a successful dock, you should see a message like "Connected to
Newton '<Owner's Name>' on COM1 <or COM2>". If you don't, then there's a
problem.

> The connection was stopped because of communication error. (-1)

Are you trying to import a file? From/to what application? Try installing
a package first and see if that works. If so, then there might be a
problem on the eMate with the data in whatever app you're trying to import
to.