Re: [NTLK] Upgrading Memory Cards

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 10:33:01 EDT

On Friday, August 17, 2001, at 12:28 AM, James Clark wrote:

>> on 17/08/01 00:03, James Clark at clarkjm_at_appleisp.net wrote:
>>
>>> I am upgrading from an 8MEG flash card to a 16MEG. What is the best
>>> way to
>>> transfer data? Do a full backup, swap cards, then download? What about
>>> messages saying that the card must be reinserted? What is the safest
>>> procedure? Thanks, all.
>>
>> I'm guessing that you're not using a 2000 or a 2100. If that's the
>> case,
>> then you're right. Do a full backup of your 8 MB card then swap cards
>> and
>> restore onto your 16 MB one.
>>
>> -Laurent.
> Sorry Laurent, I was not clear. Yes I have a 2100.

Well, then, depending on what you have on your 8 MB card, it might be
easier. For instance, if you know that you only installed application
packages on that card, then you could stick in your 16 MB one, open
Extras, tap the little dot between the 2 arrows in the status bar to
switch to overview. Then, tap the popup menu at the top of the Extras
window. Select your 8 MB card in the menu, toward the bottom. Tap the
popup menu again and select "All icons". Then, you should have only
those packages that are on your 8 MB card. You can then select them by
tapping the check box before each of them. Then, tap the filing button
at the bottom right (it looks like a little folder). In the little
window that appear, under "File these icons on", select your 16 MB card,
then tap the "File" button and you're done.

However, if you also have other information, that wouldn't be effective
as you would have to go in each application that relate to these
information and manually file them on your 16 MB card. If that was the
case, you would be better off doing a backup like you suggested
initially.

-Laurent.