[NTLK] another SER-001 installation report

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 07:38:22 EDT

it took me a long time to get registered with paypal, but finally it is done now and I could pay.

So I would like to thank David for keeping me in his list, keeping the hardware and finally sending it to me.

Having the several reports about SER-001 in mind I investigated deeper how the board will fit into my Newt.
In my particular case the long screw for the upper right end causes the back cover not to close perfectly, because precisely where the screw is located, the back cover has a little bump of approx half a millimeter or less. There are some scratches in the insulating foil at this position due to pressing the back cover down onto the screw. But this is enough to prevent the back cover from closing perfectly (snapping in near the pen holder). Another issue are the two wires to the on/off switch: there are little clearances for those wires and if the wires do not sit in the clearances, they will cause the SER-001 board to sit a bit higher above the logic board.
Finally I decided to leave the long screw out and the Newt is now perfectly closed.
Since the Mini-Din plug very smoothly goes into the socket, only a negligible amount of mechanical force is inserted to the SER-001 board and I am sure that it will last a long time.

Thanks again to David
and again the statement that the SER-001 is a great and very useful peace of hardware for our Newts!!!

Johannes