Re: [NTLK] sorry about this but... if I got a palm, are there ANY decent HWR apps for it?

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 14:05:53 EDT

Then I'm afraid you're out of luck. No, there are not. Only Graffiti
variants like Jot or a few other weird input systems.

The *original* Paragraph/Calligrapher Newton HWR engine is available,
slightly updated, for PocketPC machines. I'd stay away from those
pieces of junk, though. 3 tries and they're still out. For good
reason.

I'm afraid the answer is: stick with your Newton until the end of time,
or learn Graffiti. I picked it up right away, except for the unusual
punctuation anbd symbols that you only use occasionally and for that I
tend to use the popup keyboard on both my Newton and PalmOS units
anyway....) I got used to it pretty quickly. I'd still prefer the
Newton's HWR, but it isn't really feasible on small screens like the
Palm and PocketPC units. Not enough room across 'em for more than a
word or two, at most.

But perhaps in 2002 when they start releasing StrongARM-based Palm
units, someone will try making a real HWR engine for PalmOS.

If you decided to go Palm, get a HandEra 330 (www.handera.com). It's
as close to a Newton 2100 as you'll get in a Palm product. I'm not an
employees, just a happy customer.

 - Bill