Re: [NTLK] My first Newton (finally!)

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 16:07:19 EDT

------------------
>1. Is NCU free (on UNNA)? If I use this in conjunction with, say, Palm
Desktop, will I be able to see my notes and such on my Mac?

NCU is on UNNA. To 'see' your 'notes and such' on your Mac, hmmm..., can't
remember.
---------------
>2. Is PrintPack free and on UNNA? Will this work with my Epson Stylus
740(has a serial port)?

Yes it's free and also still on Apple's site.
740 needs the Printpack cable, or an older cable IIRC.
---------------
>3. Do I need any special software on the Newt to connect it via AppleTalk
to my mac? I'll probably pick up one of those serial/ethernet appletalk
adapters from Farallon.

Check the 'ethernet' page. Yes you need the software, everything 'except'
Newton Devices and the ethernet card driver can be on external card store.
---------------
>4. Speaking of which, could someone PLEASE help me figure out which of the
various Farallon EtherMac or iPrint products will work with the Newton for
backing up and syncing with my iBook?

Check the ethernet page.
---------------
>5. How long can I expect to get out of 4 good (Duracell or Energizer) AA
batteries? Luckily it came with a power adapter...

Anywhere from 1-30 days depending on usage. When I travel on business
trips I use alks that last 3-5 days including email and web-browsing and
lots of backlight use.
*VERY IMPORTANT*-DO NOT LET THE POWER GO OUT DURING MODEM/ETHERNET USE, IF
POWER GOES OUT THERE IS A CHANCE THE INTERNAL MEMORY STORE CAN BE ERASED!!!
 Becareful, you can easily replace a modem/ethernet card, but you Newt. is
from a limited supply.-there, my public service announcement- :-)
YMMY.
---------------
>6. I also got an Apple 2mb Flash card. Will keeping this card in drain
the battery faster (even if the card itself is not in use)?

With memory cards inserted, your battery life will decrease by 0.1%. ;-)
With modem/ethernet cards, your battery life will decrease by 10-40%. They
'suck'...lots of juice, use the AC. :-o
---------------
>Hmm.. I think that's about it for now. Thanks in advance for your help!
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later, haha.
>Anthony Randazzo
>SupahCoolX_at_mac.com

You laugh now, we're laughing at every question you ask.
haha...Haha...HAha...HAHa...HAHA...LOL...ROFL..._at_...@..._at_...#] BONK!...hey
where that bracket come from???

!ooW %-)
My Newt. will still be productive way after the last Palm/Handspring is
six-feet under.
Pres. of Los Angeles Newton Users Group!
 http://www.newtontalk.net