Re: [NTLK] sorry about this but... if I got a palm, are there ANY decent HWR apps for it?

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 18:39:18 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Sushi <Sushi_at_ragingbull.com>

> On 8/22/01 @ 2:40 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
> >AFAIK, there isn't any other HWR engine for the
> >Palm OS beside Graffiti...
>
> I believe that there is a JOT type HWR engine.

Jot is just a (they say) slightly better graffiti that doesn't require
you to write in the small box at the bottom of the screen....but you
STILL have to write on the left hand or right hand SIDES of the screen
for numbers or letters.

And unfortunately, it's presently incompatible with my HandEra
330...for which it would seem to be a perfect match, since you can
collapse the Graffiti area on the HandEra.

> The Handera 330, since it has a soft silkscreen, will show your
> Graffiti
> strokes as you make them.

Jot has this option too, also TealEcho from Tealpoint software.

I found this a big help. Also, since the
> Handera 330 has back lighting, you can see your Graffiti strokes in
> the
> silkscreen area at night. This is very very handy for those who use
> Palm
> OS devices in reduced light conditions.

Two of the big reason I bought a HandEra was the nice backlight and the
backlightable/soft Graffiti area. Not as good as the Newton's bright
green glow, but the best of the current crop of Palms except maybe some
of the color units (but the color screen are generally too grainy for
my tastes)

> Of course, those of us who use our Newts in low light levels know how
> nice our little green machines truly are. Even those models without
> backlighting, have very nice easy to read screens. I guess you could
> say we are spoiled!

Yep.