Re: [NTLK] PDF

From: David Nett (troilus1_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 15:09:08 EDT

Where these conversions would be really handy is
in the realm of e-books. Many companies are
selling ebooks in multiple formats now, one of
them being PDF. It would be great to get these
ebooks into my Newt. I don't want to pirate or
redistribute these books -- I'd buy one copy,
translate it to ASCII or RTF, press it into a
NewtonBook, and read it.

Unfortunately, there is a PDF characteristic that
prevents it from being converted via Adobe's
conversion engine (or any others I've seen).
Most ebook publishers activate this
characteristic.

<sigh>

Any chance of a real PDF viewer for Newt? No? I
thought not. Any chance of a PeanutPress,
EBookman, PalmDoc, or Microsoft Reader viewers?

I love my Newt, but this, for me (combined with
Paul's ATA driver) would be a real killer app,
making my baby even more indispensable.

=====