[NTLK] Newbie NCU/NBU (on a PC) Question

From: Ben Smith (bensmith_at_mailhost.net)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 10:26:08 EDT

Hi everyone,

Ben here, long time (well a couple of months) lister, first time caller :)
With a question I hope you can help me with...

[flame avoidance] I _have_ read every FAQ and manual I can find before
posting, so please be gentle with me :) [/flame avoidance]

I have recently acquired a MP2000 (thanks David if you're still here) and
am trying to connect it to my PC laptop via serial connection (sorry, no
access to a Mac). I have downloaded both NCU and NBU and, in anticipation
of problems, slowdown.exe too. I can now happily install packages using
either program (no need to use slowdown.exe), but get a 'communications
error -1' when trying to backup to the PC. This happens regardless of
whether my 16mb flash card is inserted and also regardless of the settings
on slowdown.exe, although on the slower settings I sometimes get to see a
'creating backup file' message for a few seconds. The FAQ talks about 'Get
Info' on a Mac for this error, but has no info on what this error means on
a PC. BTW: I'm running NT4 with 512Mb Ram on a P3.

As the Newt came stacked with packages (some registered) I'm reluctant to
blow the whole lot away and thought I might give SBM a go to see if there
were any corrupted files. However, there is already an expired copy on the
Newt and I'm reluctant to pay out to register something I've never used...

Any ideas or tips please? Despite owning a few Newts I've never got round
to making a PC cable from the Mac ones I got with them, so the MP2000 (and
its included PC cable) are my first attempt at this... :(

Thanks in advance,

Ben

MP2000
MP120
MP110
2 x OMP
(but I can give up when I want, it's just recreational...)

--
Ben Smith
bensmith_at_mailhost.net