Re: [NTLK] [OT] More on Apple wont fix it!

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 08:23:45 EST

On Saturday, December 1, 2001, at 11:59 , Sushi wrote:

>> On 12/1/01 @ 5:15 AM, BK wrote:
>>
>> I'm aware of that and I avoided to do this when I could,
>> but sometimes I just didn't have the time and needed to
>> get back to work. What I did, was put it in the frigde
>> for 5 minutes or so and afterwards I still left it alone
>> for another 20-25 minutes. Without this procedure it took
>> about 2-3 hours before it would boot again.
>
> Interesting.
>
> I didn't realize that the 2400 was such a "hot" machine!
>
> FWIW, I had a buddy who used his for a server, for a period of time.
> Another fellow that I knew used his all the time when traveling.
> Neither
> had the heat problems that you had.
>
> I wonder what was different?

As I said, I considered it a 2400 with an attitude ;-)

I actually bought two of them and gave one to a friend in the UK. He's
had no trouble other than the power cord breaking at the outlet of the
power supply. Just bad luck I guess.

> The 2400 is still expensive. Just saw a nice one for 80,000 yen

Yup, especially in Japan those small footprint gadgets are very popular.

The majority of 2400s on Yahoo Auctions Japan seem to go for anywhere
between 60000-80000 yen. I put mine up for auction with the heat
attitude and therefore for 20000 yen but soon a bidding war started and
it sold for 40000 despite the attitude problem. Now the machine is in
repair and the Japanese Post will pay for it. So when it comes back it
will be like new :-) inclusive of 3 months Apple warranty.

> (Although cheaper than the eMate at 89,000 yen). I was thinking of
> getting one and putting a G3 upgrade in it since it had SCSI and PC card
> slots which come in handy at times.

Well, my 2400 will come back from Apple in about two weeks time. It
comes with a portable CD-ROM that doubles as a standalone CD Walkman.
It's got a serial interface and I can install all the Newton stuff on
there (runs OS 9.1).

rgds
BK