Re: [NTLK] 2k questions (thinking of upgrading to 2k)

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 04:19:34 EST

> first, using the "works" software, can word proccessing docs be
> tranferred to msword directly?
You can use the RTF format for direct transfer and on the Mac is the famous
MacLinkPlus9 Translator package which will directly create a file in the
appropriate MS Word format or one of many other formats.

> second, spreadsheets, able to copy to msexcel? easy? hard? frustrating?
not>?
QuickFigurePro V4 is a separate application and not part of NewtonWorks.
With QuickFigureExchange you can transfer workbooks or Worksheets to Excel
via serial under Windoze and Ethernet under MacOS. I had problems with
transmitting workbooks to Excel 2000 on Win and Mac but the Office 98
versions work good.

> Also, a trickier question... what about connecting a mobile? Say, the
> nokia 6000 series.... how?
If your cellphone has a modem built-in you'll need a cable with the right
connector (Mini8). Then you need to choose a Hayes Modem driver and in the
worst case you'll need ModemModifier to send a modified init string to your
cell phone. Alternatively you might want to use the Nokia CardPhone 2.0
which works smoothly and appears like a normal analog modem card. I could
use the CP2 for fax sending and receiving, www access as well as wireless
e-mail. It could also dial to a phone using the Newton Calls application but
I wasn't successful to use the CP2 as cell phone because I got the wrong
headset during my testing period. But I remember that someone else from this
list did successfully call and receive calls with the right headset.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing