Re: [NTLK] [ANN] NIE Patch v1

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 13:18:12 EST

>Paul will probably give you a better answer to this question, but did you
>try with NIE internal and the patch on a card ?

Actually, all that is my fault. I had NIE internal and the patch on
the card, and it worked just fine because the patch was loaded after
NIE. I thought it would be just fine like this (NIE is called Newton
Internet Enabler and the patch was called "NIE Patch:Kallisys"), even
if the patch was on the internal store.

However, NIE installs the part that I need to patch after 3 seconds
(for some reason I won't explain here). So NIE Patch was loaded too
early. And in the doc I said: you'd rather put it on the internal
store, which Grant did.

Anyway, the new version fixes all that. Installation process is
totally different. When loaded, NIE Patch looks if it can patch NIE
and adds some handler to be told when NIE will be patchable. And if
you remove NIE, the patch goes away. So in the end, you can have NIE
Patch and NIE loaded at any time, in any order. However, I changed
the symbol to " NIE Patch" to be sure that NIE will be patched as
soon as possible, so it won't happen during an internet connection
(but in fact, I'm not totally sure that it won't work during an
internet connection).

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/