Re: [NTLK] Griffen iMate and newton does it work?

From: Jason Smith (smithja_at_cs.unc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 17:41:01 EST

On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 01:55 AM, Bill Davis wrote:

>> Does Griffen iMate uab to adb work with NCU, and does it work on pc as
>> well as Mac?
>>

> I think you meant "USB to ADB"....and the answer is "no", since the
> Newton has neither USB or ADB ports. (The Newton keyboard is NOT an
> ADB keyboard.)
>
> If you mean "USB to Serial", that's another thing, and another
> story...and the answer is "I don't know". Some of those gizmos do work
> with NCU, I think, and some don't. The Newton FAQ at www.chuma.org or
> www.splorp.com probably tells some that do and don't.

        Ah, now the *real* trick would be to replace the dongle with a
USB-but-really-serial port to allow for direct USB connection. :) Sort
of a reverse USB->serial, stashed in the case itself.

        Anyone? (I doubt there's enough room in there, but I thought I'd
throw it out there... the serial connection would still be the same
internally, so no changes would have to be made software wise to the
Newt. It would just move the USB->serial converter inside for one less
dongle.)