[NTLK] My Newton @ Apple Saga continues.

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 14:41:26 EST

When we last left our hero, his Newton, which was damaged, but working when
he sent it to Apple, was now being returned to him, in non-working
condition, which Apple claimed is how they received it.

After a week or 2, when the broken Newton still hadn't been received, our
hero called Apple and was told it had finally shipped the previous day, with
no explanation for the delay.

Naturally, our eternally optimistic hero thought a snafu would lead him to
receive his Newton fixed after all.

And, lo and behold, last night it arrived, with a note on it saying "It
works" and a note in the Notes App saying "Merry X-Mas, it's fixed"

Apple repaired the body damage, and replaced the scratched screen.
Hallelujah! It's a miracle.

However!!!

When the Newton's backup was restored an out of memory error occurred and it
was discovered that in fixing the upgraded MP2K Apple had removed the
upgrade, returning the MP2k back to being a 2k, after several years of
2100ness.

Thus ends Act II of our saga.

I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. Naturally, having thought it
was completely trashed, I am just happy to have it back. I am not planning
on bothering with Apple to get it upgraded again. I'll go with one of our
3rd party solutions (been wanting a Pix Implant for years).

Just wanted to let you all know that my Apple repair saga did not have the
completely bad ending that we we were anticipating after Act I. :-)

Stay tuned for Act III.

Loren