Re: [NTLK] Revisiting Pix Solution Accelerator

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 10:25:14 EST

I can't comment about the Pixsolution device, but I do have a 'homebrew'
accellerated MP2100. I removed the crystal from the motherboard and added a
5.0 MHz chip, and used a micro-switch to select between them. Someone on
the list, I think Paul G. pointed out that this is not entirely safe,
because there is no way of controlling what the Newton is doing at the
'exact' moment you throw the switch. Basically there is a brief moment when
there is no clock crystal at all, and everything grinds to a halt.

I would guesstimate that about 1 in 25 or 1 in 30 times, switching the clock
in this manner has led to a reset. So far I have never lost any data.

The on board real time clock is not affected, it has it's own oscillator.
Sounds are sped up, serial and IR ports are unusable. My network card is a
3-com and it will not work. I have a generic 56k PCMCIA modem which does
work fine.

When sped up, my newt runs at about 219 MHz, and wow is it snappy!

The operation was pretty straight-forward, just wiring two crystals to the
motherboard, and using a switch to select one or the other. The single most
challenging, and dangerous part of the proceedure is removing the on-board
crystal from the motherboard. You'll have to do this if you are installing
the Pixsolution unit yourself.

Another challenge is where to put the switch. I cut a small bit of plastic
away next to the serial port and put it there, recessed so it can't get
bumped accidentally. The Pixsolution of course is a lot more graceful in
how it is activated (though if it could be software controlled that would be
best of all).

Good luck!

-Stephanie