Re: [NTLK] Airport, where are we at?

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 02:08:05 EST

>> I'd like to know too.
>
>It's kinda of on hold right now.

That's what I recalled.

>My AirPort Base Station did stop working
>about 2 weeks ago. I phoned Apple and tried to get it replaced under their
>replacement policy for earlier ABS, but mine didn't have the right serial
>number. I'm trying to get it repaired, if it can be. If not, then I'll have
>to ponder whether I'm going to buy another one or not. It already cost me
>$300 for this one. Another $300 and that would be pretty expensive for
>wireless access around the house... And yes, the warranty was over...

Bummer! If all else fails, there's instructions around the 'Net (check
MacInTouch and MacFixit) to show you how to fix if yourself if it was the
"capacitor problem" (which I think you must know about, based on your
comments.)

But I'd never go back. The wireless is TOO nice with my powerbook. No
need to string cables thru the house or limit where I can use the laptop
on the 'Net.

And the new AirPort base station has some nice new features, including a
built-in firewall and an Ethernet out port as well as one for the
cable/dsl connection (and phone of course, if you don't have broadband).
And there are third party WiFi basestations that'd work too. Maybe those
are cheaper, I haven't looked.

I've been thinking about taking my current AirPort to work (where we're
already behind a firewall) and buy one of the new ones for home. A
number of the mgr's have laptops (PeeCees) and I always take my
PowerBooks with me. Be nice to have wireless access anywhere within the
building.

And it'd give me another good excuse to get a WiFi card for my HandEra
PalmOS unit too. With two card slots I can have a big memory card in the
SD/MMC slot (in capacity not size, my current 32MB MMC card is the size
of a postage stamp) and a WiFi card (or another memory card) in the CF
slot. It'd be TOO cool to be Telnet'd into our minicomputer or using VNC
from my Palm (or Newton hopefully one of these days.)

 - Bill