Re: [NTLK] FW: magnified stylus dirt photos

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 13:03:21 EST

>On 12/31/01 @ 2:34 AM, Dustin Long wrote:
>
>I have several of the Apple-original MP2k stylii that
>I've managed to cross-thread and lose the tips from.
>Tried super-glue, catalyzed cement... never found
>anything that'd hold the "dark green" plastic tip in
>place once the threads were eliminated.

Here is another solution that you might try for those cases where you
still have the tip, and there are some ruminants of the threads left,
even though they don't work, this might work for you.

Take a small piece of tissue and use it to secure the tip.

Now how do I explain the technique. Hmmm... It's easy to show, but hard
to describe.

Basically, you cut a small piece of tissue a little wider than the shaft.
 Cut the length from the bottom of the fat end of the tip, around the
base and back to the base of the tip.

Then you insert the tip, with the tissue from the fat end of the tip,
looped around the end of the shaft, back to the fat end of the tip. So
the tissue makes a "U" around the end of the shaft.

Slowly, repeat, slowly, push the tip in. As it goes in you will need to
rotate it slightly.

Note: if you find it beginning to seat too soon, stop, pull it out and
cut a new piece of tissue that is slightly smaller in width.

When you are done inserting the tip, take a razor blade, or use your
fingernails, to trim the excess tissue that is now sticking out between
the tip and the holder.

BTW, I haven't been able to remove the tip from one of these that I've
done for the Newt and other devices with similar tips. I've tried this
technique on many other items of equipment.

YMMV...good luck!

Sushi