Re: [NTLK] [OT] What OS on a LC 575

From: Philip Katz (pkatt_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 21:14:02 EST

On 12/30/01 8:02 PM, "THX 1138" <onefishtwofish_at_mac.com> wrote:

> On 12/30/01, Philip Katz quoth:
>> I am getting a Newton 2100. I plan to hook it up to my LC 575 since my
>> iBook and iMac don't have serial. Right now it has OS 7.5.5 on it. Is that
>> good enough or should I upgrade to say 8.0? On a similar note, should I
>> even use the 575 or would I be better buying a serial adapter or using my
>> Quarda 700?
>
> I use a Performa 575 for my development and docking station. I use
> 8.1 and 7.5.5 on it, almost exclusively. I do occasionally boot into
> 7.1 for really old stuff. I'd have to say that 7.5.5 or 7.6 would be
> my choice. Unless you need the features of 8.1 (i.e. Open Transport,
> HFS+ access) there's not a lot to gain, and some things just seem
> happier under 7.5.5.
>
> Both are stable, reasonably fast and pretty cheap (or free).
>
> If you do go the modern route, I would suggest having at least 36 mb
> in the 575 before you go for 8.1, it's a dog on virtual memory unless
> you've upgraded to a full '040 processor.
>
> As far as should you use it or your iMac or iBook, well, it may be
> quicker and cheaper to add a serial adaptor to either of those than
> get the old LC up to speed, and they will be loads faster. Even
> better would be to go the Ethernet route, so I'd advise to use the LC
> to get the Newt up and running, get an ethernet card, and then don't
> look back.
>
> later,
That sounds good. What I'll probably do is set it up on the 575 (upgraded
to 7.6), then (when I have money) get a serial adapter for my iBook/iMac.
When you say "Ethernet Route", what do you mean? Do you say that I can sync
my Newto via ethernet? What kind of card would I have to buy (and $$)?
Thanks.