Re: [NTLK] [OT] What OS on a LC 575

From: THX 1138 (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 21:26:42 EST

On 12/30/01, Philip Katz quoth:
>That sounds good. What I'll probably do is set it up on the 575 (upgraded
>to 7.6), then (when I have money) get a serial adapter for my iBook/iMac.
>When you say "Ethernet Route", what do you mean? Do you say that I can sync
>my Newto via ethernet? What kind of card would I have to buy (and $$)?

Yes, you can sync, install packages, restore and backup via ethernet
with NCU (use 1.0, there's not a 2.0 as was mentioned before).

Check the FAQ or Newton Resources <http://www.chuma.org/newton/> on
what cards work and what drivers you'll need. Most can be found for
under $20 on ebay or at close-out computer stores. I'm sure someone
will pipe in with a source here in a minute. The most common are the
3com 3c589c or the 3cxe589dt, I think. YMMV.

And yes it's MUCH faster. Once you use it, you won't go back.

later,

--
ben.
onefishtwofish_at_mac.com