Re: [NTLK] [off topic] hardware mystery question

From: jimthej (jimthej_at_pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 11:56:43 EDT

on 7/1/01 8:00 AM, ThisOlNewt_at_aol.com at ThisOlNewt_at_aol.com wrote:

> Whenever I see a box o wires and hardware at a garage sale I usually plop
> down a few bucks and hunt for a find. Yesterday I got two Faralon phonenet
> thingamagiggys. These are a small connector with a few phone jacks and a mac
> looking serial connector on the other side.
> Anyone?
> TIA
Should be 2 phone jacks RJ-11. They are used with phone cable to connect
Macs, Newtons, printers etc. to each other using serial port based
AppleTalk. Good for up to about 150 feet of phone wire if the end boxes are
terminated in the empty port with a little resistor crimped in a RJ-11 plug.
(pins 1, 4) The resistor on the one hanging under my keyboard tray (Newt
Connection) is Gold stripe (5%) then Brown, Red, Brown. Been so long I don't
remember the color codes. Factory terminators have a small plastic washer
that the loop of the resistor wires passes through to make it easier to
remove from the box.

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Mac Smacker