[NTLK] My New Newton

From: Stephen Swift (aka Burnum) (burnum_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 11:56:57 EDT

I recently acquired a MP120 (OS 2.0). I have a few questions

...concerning batteries. My manual says to only use a Newton battery pack
or alkaline, and rechargeables mess it up. Is this quite true or baloney?
Also, I've noticed the Netwton's battery gage isn't very reliable.
Sometimes it goes down to six notches, other times only three. But anyhow,
what tips are there to conserve battery power.

...concerning a word processor. I'd really like a very small word processo=
(I have a keyboard), so I can type notes and print. I guess the Notes
application would work, but it doesn't seem meant for that sort of thing. =
heard about something called NewtWorks, but apparently it needs 2.1 to run.

...concerning hand writing recognition. Mostly it works. But sometimes I
can't get it to recognize T vs. c, C vs, c, Y vs. 4, and 9 vs. g. Is there
a chart somewhere with the correct letterings. I thought the system used
some odd letter recognition for some of the letters. Isn't it based on
Graffiti or something? Any help getting better results is much appreciated=
.

...concerning the call feature of the Newton. In my manual it says that if
you place the Newton's speaker next to the telephone, you can get the Newto=
to call the phone number using a series of beeps. Has anyone gotten this t=
work?

...concerning the IR port. I'd really like to be able to transfer data wit=
my PowerBook using the IR ports. I've tried setting the AppleTalk settings
to use the IR port, but the Newton never recognizes it.

Thanks!

Stephen Swift =BF' The Burnum Man
burnum_at_mac.com