Re: [NTLK] The (Not quite ready yet) newtontracker.

From: carpman_at_newtontracker.net
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 08:41:59 EDT

> First of all, thank you carpman, whoever you are, for starting up another
> project supporting the Newton community at large.

Your welcome. :)
> Secondly, I see a couple of opportunities here:
>
> How about hooking in to the downloadable content found on the UNNA site
> as a starting point for the tracker? The missing piece in this case would
> be descriptive text for each piece of software. Filling in this
> information would be a fairly mammoth task which might involve parsing
> the read me files included in many of the archives. Daunting? Yes.
> Impossible? Not really.

I was planing on indexing both UNNA and AMUG, plus any other websites with packages not found on those (not many, but there are a few).

> Any thoughts on this Victor? I think you had been tossing around the idea
> of a more descriptive, text-based front end for UNNA at one time. Or was
> that another conversation?
>
> Additionally, would there be any benefit in contacting Jakob Peterh=E4nsel
> of DNUG and merging the old Newton Versions database into
> newtontracker.net? There was a ton of information (historical and
> otherwise) in that database, and we have unfortunately been without it
> for nearly two years now.
>
> http://www.dnug.dk/versions/

This could be done, the real mess would be the format of the dnug database. The time between when my old newton 110 broke down and when I got my new 120 was just such that I never got to see the dnug in action. I have heard its praises on old message boards, so I hope I can live up to it.

> If someone is interested in following this one up (I already have too
> many thing on my plate at the moment...), the last contact info I have
> for Jakob are these two email addresses. The second one is the most
> current.
>
> info_at_dnug.dk
> jakob_at_hjemme.dk
>
> Just a couple of things to chew on.
>
> g.

I was thinking about giving some people moderator status. They could change card data, add and remove cards, all from a secure web page. Thats really the last remaing part of the site, being about 50% complete.