Re: [NTLK] Serial port speed

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 17:00:47 EDT

> In that case, the only easy way is to have a module such as the
> package to do 57.6K connections with the dock. You can grab the
> sources somewhere (maybe of the 115.2 rather) and change the consts
> to 28800.

Ummm, I wonder where the sources are?

> Have you looked if the keyboard can be used without any software on
> the secondary port? And even if it cannot, you can dock with the
> secondary port as well with an extension such as the one to connect
> at 28800 (but there, I'm nearly 100% sure that it will work). Of
> course, it doesn't solve the acceleration problem.

I have not tried this. I suspect it won't work though.
As I understand it, the Newton scans port 0 at power up to determine
if a keyboard is connected. Perhaps it scans port 3 also but in
this case, it is looking for a modem?

Anyway, if I can get the Newton to communicate at 28800bps, I think
I can do a hardware hack to get the keyboard and serial comms to work
normally:)

I need the first part to test the second.

Regards and thanks Paul,

David Humphreys