Re: [NTLK] surfing the net thru a Mac as a router ?

From: Stefan Hassenstein (list.SH_at_gmx.de)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 14:28:18 EDT

Ed !

thanks a lot for your detailed question and answers.
Makes me thinking wether i really should stop the digging.

>Why are you doing it this way?
>For the cost perhaps?

Have no Hub, no ethernet card for the Newton and ...
no experience at all with all that stuff.
(meaning: have to look for the right brands, the usually prices,
the software playing on it...uhhh)

>Well, for the struggle, the cost isn't worth it!
>The way I would do it (and the way I am actually doing
>it) is my desktop has (had, I'm DSL now) a modem in
>it.

same here...DSL on flat mode.

>and I'm running "proxy" software on it. I also
>have an ethernet card in the desktop connected to an
>ethernet hub. All of my other machines are connected
>to the hub with ethernet connections and point to the
>desktop machine's IP as the proxy server.
.
.
.

>Total cost: NIC for desktop $20, NIC for Newt $35, Hub
>$30, Proxy software free (shareware)

sorry ? NIC stands for what ?

Thanks again !
Stefan
(heavy thinking now....)

--
Stefan Hassenstein - stef_at_orpheus.s.bawue.de