Re: [NTLK] BTI Batteries

From: Mark Ross (markross13_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 21:12:17 EDT

>I spoke to BTI - they have about 350 plastic cases left for the MP2100.
>When those are gone, they will not make more unless there is an order/demand
>for about 3000. When they get orders for batteries, they fill the plastic
>cases with the battery cells - the unused shelf life (if not put into a Newt
>and used) is about 6 months. Storing in the frig does NOT prolong life.

Gee, I always learned in chemistry class that chemical reaction rates are
proportional to temperature. As a general rule of thumb, you can
estimate that every for 10 deg C increase, the reaction rate will double.
 So, if we compare the rate of reaction at room temperature (20-25 C) vs.
at refrigerator temperature (ca. 5 C) you would get a reduction in rate
of ca. 3-4X. Therefore, a battery at room temperature that lasts 6 mos.
should now last approximately 18-24 months. Frank can chime in here as
well as I'm sure our battery expert will have an even better story.

Mark Ross
markross13_at_home.com