Re: [NTLK] iMac/eMate

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 10:52:18 EDT

eMate 300 01 Jurgen Mintert (mintert_at_planet.nl) wrote:

> i will buy an iMac, BUT how to connect to the eMate??
> As far as i can see, there is this ethernet connection, BUT the slot of an
> eMate/MP130 can only hold one card, that means i could not backup my
> memorycards---bad solution.

That depends. I use the memory cards for storing NewtonBooks and
applications exclusively, while all data (Newton Works documents,
contacts, dates and stuff) is stored internally, along with online apps
like SimpleMail (because for connecting to the internet, I have to
replace the memory card by a modem). Anyway, because the stuff on my
memory card is just apps and books, there's no need to ever backup the
card. Instead, I keep a folder on my Mac, containing all the packages
installed on the memory card.

> The other thing is this "bekin/keyspam/smirnoff" adapter, that could allow
> an old fashion seriel/usb connection---BUT where are this things to buy ??

Every Apple dealer should carry these adapters.

> I worked about 16 years on my SE/30. I have to say goodby to a tool, that
> NEVER let me down in all this years (exept that i never was able to
> connect with appletalk) BUT there is this question that all my data has to
> be moved to the iMac. As far as it is now, the iMac has no 1.4MB drive.
> That could be walked around with this serial/usb ---BUT i never was able
> to get appletalk running on my SE/30(yes, i have these appletalk cable).

A Belkin/Keyspan/etc. adapter wouldn't help you anyway, as the USB
adapters only support serial connections, not LocalTalk. You might borrow
a SCSI CD-R drive from someone and burn a CD with your data.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de