[NTLK] The White Backlight and Contrast

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 19:37:11 PDT

The one problem that threatens to come between me and my MessagePad after all these years is the fading backlight; the reduced contrast in just about any situation except for low light is making reading more difficult than it probably ought to be. (And since I'm often reading from the screen about two hours a day, five days a week, it's not a problem I can put off forever.)

My hope is that one of the replacement white backlights that a few people have successfully tried (most recently David Humphreys) will provide slightly improved contrast. One report from another MessagePad user who tried this (though I'm not sure if he used the same materials) was that the white backlight was less bright, but that the legibility was better; at this point, I'm willing to try just about anything to avoid having to make a choice between my MessagePad and my eyesight.

Anyone else tried this solution?

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net