Re: [NTLK] No longer supported software...

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 07:16:08 PDT

on 6/22/01 10:07 AM, countless monkeys randomly typing on behalf of
Konstantinos Xonis at Konstantinos.Xonis_at_physik.uni-giessen.de miraculously
produced:

> matthew_at_crescent.org.uk said (D) k
>> There are two ways of looking at this.
>>
>> 1. We charge the actual cost of registration be it $5, $10, $29.95 etc.
>>
>> 2. We charge $10 flat regardless of actual reg fee
>>
>> If we go with 1. is this going to cause admin headaches?
>>
>> If we go with 2. what happens when author turns up nad the reg fee is 29.95?
>>
>> The main thrust of my argument is that we are breaking the copyright on the
>> strength that we can no longer buy the software - not a good legal argument.
>>
>> Maybe we charge a $10 flat rate and issue a new license that reads something
>> like: (IANAL)
>>
>> You have paid $10 for the use of this software until such time as the author
>> makes an appearance when you will be expected to purchase a proper license
>> minus the $10. If the author cannot be found after 2yrs then all monies will
>> go to charity.
>>
>> or something like that but you see what I'm getting at!
>>
>> Matthew
>>
> [..]
>
> I'd sign this !
>
> What about
>
> 1.5 We charge the avg of the "old" reg fees of PKGs we provide, so we could
> have
> some compensation base for the different "old" fees if the original author
> might show up sometime.
>
> OTOH, we could tell the difference between "our avg fee" and the "old" fee a
> provision we charge the author for getting him new customers...
>
> still my $0.02

These are all pretty good ideas. I still wish that someone on the list knew
a copyright lawyer... For instance, under the above approach, since nobody
is profiting, does that change any legal ramifications??

- Eric.