Re: [NTLK] MP2100 speedup project

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 11:06:56 PDT

From: "Smith, Tod A" <Tod.A.Smith_at_rolls-royce.com>
Subject: Re: [NTLK] MP2100 speedup project
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:04:45 -0500

>What's the status on this how-to?

--snip--
----------------
> From: "Humphreys, David" <david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] MP2x00 Overclocking

> Hi to all you overclockers,
--snip--
> Changing the clock frequency with a switch is asynchronous
> that is to say, the action is not tied to the clock cycles.
> The switching, therefore, takes place at a random time
> during the clock cycle.
> The memory, asic and processor need to complete their respective
> tasks within a set number of clock cycles and are synchronous
> to them.
> Potentially, switching could cut short a clock cycle or cause
> a glitch on the clock line that disrupts an internal task.
> What this means is that you could get, among other things,
> corrupted memory.

--snip--
> The last part of the puzzle is the SA-110S. The part is
> stamped 160Mhz. There is a reason for that.
> A lot of chips have frequency ratings. When they are made,
> the manufacturer can't afford (or doesn't want to) different
> production lines for different frequencies of the same
> chip.
> Instead, they will make the fastest chip and test them.

Combining 2 threads into 1

I have found all the parts needed, oscilator chips and micro switch. I
had anticipated the problem outlined by Dave, and had planned to shut
off my Newt (well, deep sleep it), pop out the battery pack, click the
switch, re-insert the battery, and start up at the new speed. I really
only plan to do this if needed, such as for keyboard use.

I do realize that there's a danger in this, and may only take it up to
say - 175 MHz or 213 MHz. But I look at it - in my case - of trying to
extend the useful life of a product. I may use some heat sink gel and
see if I can fit in a thin heatsink over the StrongARM chip. I do know
there's a danger, but from the day I re-wired and re-capped my
harmon/kardon amp in grad school, I've been told my initials stand for
"Modification Required".

--
Mark Rollins, CIH, CSP
mark_at_mrollins.com