Re: [NTLK] offtopic .sit/.zip files

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 07:42:20 PDT

on or about 6/29/01 10:07 AM, the following may or may not have been typed
by bob barkany at bob_at_barkany.com:

> Thanks for all the replies
> I'm still a bit in the dark
> Outlook express encodes the attachment for mac or pc or both.Is this enough
> to get a pc to read the files?
> When I tried stuffit to stuff the folder as a Pc readable folder, it turned
> the folder into a .exe file and it didnt open on a PC
>
> Is it simply a question of naming the file .zip to get it to open ona PC
> That is what is confusing me I think

If you've used Stuffit to encode as a self-extracting archive, then .exe is
the proper extension. Given that, it likely isn't a file extension problem.

In Outlook Express you may need to specifically encode the attachment for
Windows. The choices (in OE5) are: "any computer", Mac, Windows, Unix.
You've likely had it set to "any computer" and since it hasn't been working,
try "Windows" setting. Also, since the file already is compressed and has a
file extension, make sure compression is set to "none" and the option to
automatically append file extensions is unchecked.

If that doesn't work, let us all know. This may be off-topic w.r.t. Newts,
but since we have a community of both Windows and Mac users here, it may be
one of the best places to get a problem like this solved.

- Eric.