Re: [NTLK] Ethernet

From: jimthej (jimthej_at_pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 23:12:35 EDT

on 10/1/01 7:58 PM, Sal Campos at scampos_at_mac.com wrote:

> Ok I received my EtherLinkIII LanPC Card (3Com 3c589D) and it came with a
> dongle that has two green LED lights. Are the lights supposes to go on when
> I connect it to the hub? If I where to connect the cable to my Mac the
> instead of the Ethernet PCcard the light goes on on my hub but it won't go
> on when I connect to the PCcard.
>
> I have installed the packages from NIE 2.0 (Newton Internet, Newton Devices,
> NIE Ethernet, Internet Setup) followed by my Ethernet driver(s). I installed
> all of these packages onto the internal store but no light goes on
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Did you install the Farallon Ethernet driver and the 3Com patch to it?, Did
you use the AppleTalk preference panel to select AppleTalk and the card?
(Only if you are connecting to a Mac.) Did you go into internet setup and
set it up to connect to the internet with the card. (I assume that you have
some kind of DHCP server software or hardware in your system to provide IP
addresses, or do not need some kind of tunneling application to connect to
your ISP.

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Mac Smacker