Re: [NTLK] Feedback please on Dr. Newton and Cases

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 09:59:17 EDT

on 10/2/01 2:42 AM, SlashDevNull at SlashDevNull_at_mac.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I used to own a Newton 130 a while back.
>
> I gave it to a friend and planned on getting a MP2k.
>
> Well, a month turned into a year and finally I got MP2k.
>
> So I am back with the Newton and loving every minute of it.
>
> However, I want to take care of it and since I an relatively new to the
> Newton community I am seeking advice on a few things.
>
> I need to purchase a couple cases. One case for the newton itself for
> when I need to travel light and another case to carry everything, including
> keyboard. I have looked at PDA concepts and I REALLY like the 'handstand'
> case. Has anyone purchased that case or anything from PDA concepts? And
> does anyone know of any other places that sell leather Newton cases?
>
> I am also looking at upgrading it to a 2100. Has anyone has any
> experience with Dr. Newton doing upgrades?
>
> Are the screen protectors worth buying?
>
> I apologize for being somewhat of a 'newbie' but I am probably going to
> spend @ $300 or so for 2 cases, the upgrade, and a few accessories.

I've heard nice comments about the HandStand, although I haven't used it.
When I need to take everything out, I use my Apple Newton Briefcase. Has
room for the Newton (obviously) and the keyboard and has multiple
compartments to take PCMCIA cards, pen, etc. You might be able to find one
for auction on eBay from time to time.

As for the upgrade, I did business with David Watson a couple of time and
was completely pleased and satisfied with him. I cannot recommend him
enough. He's very professional and quick to do the job. The upgrade is much
needed and you'll appreciate every dollar of it.

-Laurent.

lobotomy n.: 1. What a hacker subjected to formal management training is
said to have undergone. At IBM and elsewhere this term is used by both
hackers and low-level management; the latter doubtless intend it as a joke.
2. The act of removing the processor from a microcomputer in order to
replace or upgrade it. Some very cheap clone systems are sold in
`lobotomized' form -- everything but the brain.