Re: [NTLK] Feedback please on Dr. Newton and Cases

From: John M. Powell (iwillbefreedotcom_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 10:17:10 EDT

> Hello,
> I used to own a Newton 130 a while back.
> I gave it to a friend and planned on getting a MP2k.
> Well, a month turned into a year and finally I got MP2k.
> So I am back with the Newton and loving every minute of it.

Welcome back!

> However, I want to take care of it and since I an relatively new to the
> Newton community I am seeking advice on a few things.
> I need to purchase a couple cases. One case for the newton itself for
> when I need to travel light and another case to carry everything,
> including
> keyboard. I have looked at PDA concepts and I REALLY like the 'handstand'
> case. Has anyone purchased that case or anything from PDA concepts? And
> does anyone know of any other places that sell leather Newton cases?

There is a 'briefcase' style case which is designed to hold everything
(inc keyboard). I've owned one at one time. Nice, but huge. Very large.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1280171565 is
one I've also owned, and probably liked the most. In fact, I wish I
could pick up this one, but it's not in the budget at the time. There
was also one of the flip-top pouch type cases (Newton only) on eBay.
Those are nice if all you want to carry is the Newt.

> I am also looking at upgrading it to a 2100. Has anyone has any
> experience with Dr. Newton doing upgrades?

I've never dealt with him personally, but all the feedback I've seen
here on the list has been nothing but tops. I would definately rec'mend
you have him do it. Can't beat the price and your Newt will never be
the same.

> Are the screen protectors worth buying?

Unless you like the idea of potential permanent damage to your screen,
yes, they are worth it. High priority. Three basic ways - NuSheilds
(my personal favorite), WriteRights (many others love these) - no
longer manufactured but they crop up on occasion at eBay (in fact, I
think there are some there now), and cutting your own protects using
overhead transparencies (I've not tried this one).

> I apologize for being somewhat of a 'newbie' but I am probably going to
> spend @ $300 or so for 2 cases, the upgrade, and a few accessories.

No appology needed. Welcome (again) to the group!

> So I would like as much advice and feedback on these vendors as possible.
> Thank you for your opinions and help,
> David

I'm also going to recommend www.unna.org as a good place to start (and
finish in most cases) your software search. Also look into the Newton
FAQ and glossary (don't have the links handy, sorry!).

John