Re: [NTLK] WARNING: NTK no longer runs under MacOS X 10.1

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 10:25:38 EDT

on 10/2/01 12:37 AM, David Orriss Jr at dave_at_davenet.net wrote:

> At 11:58 PM 10/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>> 9 run within X, so that you can use almost any existing application. If an
>> application works fine on 9, then it should be OK on X. I'm talking about
>> applications, not about extensions or control panels, which are completely
>> different beasts...
>
> Well, then I don't see the problem. This is roughly analogous to my
> needing to run some of my DOS apps that don't work in Win2k. So, I have
> VMWare, where I can run a true DOS 6.22 OS install within Win2k (or Linux
> for that matter). OK, so you *can't* run NTK in *native* OS X, but you
> can still at least run it, right?

As of OS X 10.1, NTK doesn't launch anymore. You double-click it and it
starts to load, but then it displays an alert saying that an unknown error
has occurred and that it can't run.

Bear in mind that for all access to the machine hardware, OS 9 within OS X
(or Classic) has to rely on the good dispositions of OS X. That's why that
even though you have a Macintosh with a serial port, you won't be able to
use it in Classic, with the same application that works just fine when you
boot in OS 9. That's because Apple didn't implement a serial connection into
the system, so Classic can't access it either.

-Laurent.

plokta  [Acronym for Press Lots Of Keys To Abort]  v.:  To press random keys
in an attempt to get some response from the system.  Someone going into
'plokta mode' usually places both hands flat on the keyboard and presses
down, hoping for some useful response.