Re: [NTLK] 2100 screw

From: Richard G. DAVIS (msys1_at_charter.net)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 09:07:21 EDT

on 10/2/01 9:30 PM, Jeremy Bond Shepherd at jbond_at_eskimo.com wrote:
> Laurent,
>
> Can you please explain the steps you went through to countersink
> the SER-001 screw hole?
>
> I assume you probably obtained a countersink drill bit of a
> specific size? Then "drilled" out the hole so it was a bit wider
> and would allow the screw to sit flush with the surface of the board?
>
> Is this correct?
>
> If so, how did you know what size of countersink bit to use? Is
> this something you can buy in the hardware store?
>
> I got the concept but am having trouble with the details.
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Jeremy

Jeremy,

Any "size" will do. What is important is that the angle of the cutting
surfaces on the countersinking tool is one that matches the angle of the
slope on the underneath side of the screws being used.

Typically, though not necessarily, the counter-sink screw head is made with
a 45 degree slope. Therefore, if this is the case for the screws you have,
then a typical 45 degree countersinking tool from the local hardware store
should do just fine.

I suggest that you use the tool manually, not mounted in a drill motor.
That will reduce the chance of a catastrophic error. Just very light force
and take your time. Be careful not to carry the counter sink too far. Do
not go deep enough to begin to enlarge the diameter of the hole on the
underneath side of the PCB. Keep the axis of the tool aligned with the axis
of the hole.

Good luck.

Regards,

Richard.