Re: [NTLK] various eMate hardware questions - part II

From: Till (till_k_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 15:35:36 EDT

>Sounds like a good idea to get the instructions to open up your eMate which
>are in the "eMate Service Manual" which used to be on UNNA,
>but I can't find it right now......... Victor ?

The manual arrived too late for me... but I did figure out how to open the
eMate and how to remove the keyboard by myself. The bad part is that the
keyboard does still refuse to work despite the fact that I gave it a
thorough cleaning today. My suspicion is that there is a broken wire
somewhere. However, after the cleaning it became easier to provoke output
by pressing keys randomly, leading me closer to the decision that the
keyboard and not the logic bauld is faulty.

I got another eMate today, thinking of switching the keyboards to isolate
the fault. Believe it or not, I could not open it - one screw holding the
battery cover in place is REALLY stuck. I broke two cheap screwdrivers
trying to unscrew it. Does anybody know what to do to such an unwilling
screw in order to loosen it? Without damaging the eMate, of course :)