Re: [NTLK] How to use the kallisys dictionaries

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 15:38:05 EDT

>First of I would like to say thanks to Poul Guyot

Actually my first name is Paul. Also, a general (non written?) rule
is to avoid people's names in titles.

>for making dictionaries possible, and then I would also like to
>thank Morten Wagner, Peter Dam Bové and Toke Riis Ebbesen for making
>a Danish dictionary.

To distribute the roles:
Morten Wagner & Peter Dam Bové are responsible for the word list.
Toke Riis Ebbesen (ex Newton User) is responsible for asking me to
build the dictionary, being patient enough to wait for the package
(which finally came after he sold his Newton), finding the list and
reducing the list to 30K words.
I built the package from that list.

>However I am not a great computer buff, to say the least. I am not
>sure that I have installed the dictdk correctly.

You installed the package and the Newton didn't say anything went
wrong? So you installed it properly. It's as simple as that. It is
now used with the spell checker and the handwriting recognition.

>I have also installed the Dict manager, and I cannot see the dictDK
>in the manager, is this the way it is supposed to be.

Yes. DictMgr doesn't show package dictionaries. In fact, it only
shows system dictionaries (including user dictionaries). It's the way
it's (poorly) designed.

>Am I to disable the "commons (attributed)(forward)" in order to get
>optimal recognition?

I used to do that to get optimal recognition in French.

>Finally is it possible to see the words in the dictionary

Not easily.

>can you add words to the DictDK

No. DictDK is compressed and therefore read only. Actually, it uses
the NewtonOS virtual memory mechanism to save memory.

>I forgot something in my last mail; can you use the dictionary on
>text you have already written, as a spell checker?

Yes, with the built-in spell checker.
Please note though that:
a/ ing is in the DictDK, apparently it's a mistake. It means that the
spell checker will make propositions which may seem weird
b/ the spell checker proposition mechanism is based on english
pronounciation. It doesn't support accented letters.

Paul

--
Non au terrorisme.
Non à la guerre en réponse au terrorisme.