Re: [NTLK] Best way to prep card for ejection?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 15:50:21 EDT

>I'm amazed Paul, basically you're saying that it can be quite harmful to
>press the reset button on the back !

Well, yeah. Just like on any other computer using journalizing in fact.

>Now since I use the restart script from Gesture Launch (and my guess is that
>that's basically the same as any other software triggered restart from
>within the Newt) I understand that I'm already better off.

Yeah. I admit I don't know exactly what the system does when it
performs a software restart, but I'm pretty sure it waits for the
task responsible for writing data to end.

>But if I read your answer carefully, I should close all apps before
>executing the restart script, am I right ?

Well, depends on the applications in fact.
The newtApplication model (Notes, Cardfile, Dates but also third
party like LearnFast, Quotes, etc.) does save the data from time to
time if it changed (and only if it did). It doesn't save the data
immediatly after you changed it. If the application has been open for
a long time without new changes, closing it won't change anything. If
you have just made a change, restarting immeditaly will make you lose
these last changes, that's all.
Note: I think that creating a new soup entry (e.g. a new meeting, a
new note, a new name in your card file) is committed immediatly. It
may be empty, though, if you restart just after creating it.

>So what's the best way to eject a card in the end, a software triggered
>restart with all apps off or an unmounting app, and if that's the way to go
>which one is the best ?
>(I think you wrote one too, so this might be your chance for a shameless
>plug ;-)

Er. I don't recall having written a software to eject cards. However,
I think I'm going to update Avi's BD Reset way to kill all
applications.

Personally, I used SBM's Card Eject in the past, but currently, I
remove one of my linear cards to put the Ethernet or ATA card. This
linear card only has one package which requires to put it back
(MinMail:DTS). I'm so lazy that I could have removed it (I don't use
this package). This card is used for backups of the internal store
purpose.
However, I have removed cards when rebooting. I have even rebooted so
badly that the Newton refused to come back to life for more than one
minute. I'm not sure I'm doing it the good way :)

Paul

--
Non au terrorisme.
Non à la guerre en réponse au terrorisme.