[NTLK] 3Com Megahertz 3CXE589DT LAN Card...help.

From: Gary Zambrano (Gazam_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 05:36:58 EDT

Fellow Newton Users, I need help.

I cannot establish an AppleTalk connection over Ethernet from my PCI G4 Mac
(OS 9.1) to my UN-upgraded MessagePad 2000.

Here's what I basically did:

I followed all of the instructions at chuma.org and downloaded all the
necessary packages (http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/instructions.shtml)
and followed the instructions there and at
http://newted.dyndns.org/users/1f2frfbf/ethernet.html.

Hooked up Ethernet cable between machines.
Inserted the LAN Card on the top slot (later tried the lower slot).

Mac:
Launched Newton Connection Utilities on PCI G4 with Mac OS 9.1 with
AppleTalk set over Ethernet.

Set Newton Connection Utilities to AppleTalk only.

Newton:
I set up AppleTalk on the MP2000 in Preferences with Connect using
Ethertalk and Card and chose "Megahertz 589DT".

Selected the Dock on MP2000. Connect via AppleTalk and Connect to Home.
I then selected Choose Other...

THEN a slip pops up with an alert beep:
"There is a problem opening the chooser. (-61001)"

I really don't know what happened or for that matter what's going on.

I'm wondering if it's a memory problem or lack of sufficient memory on my
UN-upgraded MessagePad 2000.

Or can it be that I installed Newton Internet and LAN card drivers in the
wrong order...?

Again I followed the directions and I still get this error. What does that
error mean?

Could it be I'm running OS 9.1 and something is up with my extensions?

Please help. My Newton is just lying there on my desk with all kinds of
wires and it looks like on life support waiting for "package" transfusions!

Thank you!