[NTLK] Backtalk, Quicklink pen, beaming

From: Paul G. Grothaus (pgrothaus_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 22:24:18 EDT

I stumbled across something really neat that I want to share with the list.
I recently got a QuickLink pen (Wizcomtech.com). This is a handheld pen type
scanner which will beam notes and addresses to a Newton with Backtalk
software (Smartdogsw.com) installed. The pen itself is highly accurate and
fast. It has several built in applications: Notes, Address Book, Internet
Links, and Tables (for scanning tabular data and importing to a
spreadsheet). Only Notes and Address Book are beam enabled. Beaming to my
Newton works flawlessly. It is perfect for library research, grabbing
article titles, bibliographic info and even short abstracts. Then I beam to
the newton and cut and paste the info into NewtNotes for later import to
EndNote on my desktop. I wish I could import Tables data directly into
QFigure but Tables does not support beaming at this time.

The one drawback with the Quicklink pen is that they do not yet have a
Macintosh version of the desktop software. Quicklink desktop is used to
backup info from the pen, transfer data to desktop applications, and update
software on the pen. The Windoze version works well but I really want a Mac
version.

On a hunch, I downloaded the Mac client for the C-pen, a similar but less
capable pen scanner (according to several reviews I read, I have not used a
C-pen myself). It work great for beaming notes and addresses to my IrDA
equipped iMac.

Anyway, the big surprise was this. I decided to try and beam a note from my
Newton to the iMac using the C-pen software. IT WORKS. You have to have
BackTalk installed and choose the Obex protocol. The note arrives on the
desktop as a SimpleText file. It's perfect for a quick transfer. Much
simpler than setting up EETransfer, QuickPress, Xport or any of the other
Newton to desktop programs.

OK there are two problems. One, the C-pen application hangs after receiving
the note. It displays a dialogue box saying "waiting for instructions" (I
think that is what it said, I can't remember and my iMac is at home).
Clicking the cancel button does not get rid of the dialogue box and
Command-Q will not quit the application. The only way out that I have found
is to force the application to close (Control-Option-Command-Escape). The
second problem is that Apple discontinued IrDA on their current desktop line
so I can't use this with my G4 at work. Are Apple laptops still equipped
with IrDA? I've been thinking of buying a new powerbook, the Quicklink pen
would be a perfect accessory for one.

Aloha,
Paul Grothaus
Mililani, Hawaii