Re: [NTLK] "chinese" HWR

From: Edward Cheung (edwardcheung_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 16:16:09 EDT

this is properly off topic but just want to let you guys know how HWR
had been so useful in other Languages:
2-3 years ago a product came out using HWR technology for inputting
Chinese, the product itself is a wacom tablets and a software on a
cdrom, inputting chinese through a keyboard takes a lot of time to
learn, combination of four key stroke form a word, it takes forever to
explain it so back to the Chinese HWR,
it is a very clever software, you write a word on the tablets, it will
shows up the word you wrote and also comes up with the word that has the
same pronunciation for you to choose form this is extremely helpful if
you don't know how to write that word and you can use a word with the
same pronunciation as a search word. Besides that it will also shows the
next word that will usually use with that word you just wrote. The
amazing part is no matter how bad you handwriting is, it can still
recognize the word.
some companies can come up with such a good HWR system within this few
years and why BIG software companies cannot come up with things like
that , for example plam, winCe, etc.
Ed Cheung