[NTLK] OT Re: "chinese" HWR / Advanced Chinese input suite

From: Rodney Tamblyn (rodney_at_stonebow.otago.ac.nz)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 17:41:11 EDT

Apple released a product which might be the one you are describing, called "Advanced Chinese Input Suite". It featured character recognition (draw on tablet), continuous Chinese speech recognition, and dictionaries (from memory). I have a copy here somewhere. I don't know whether development of this software was continued or not. It functions fine with the Chinese traditional/simplied language kits.

Rodney

>this is properly off topic but just want to let you guys know how HWR
>had been so useful in other Languages:
>2-3 years ago a product came out using HWR technology for inputting
>Chinese, the product itself is a wacom tablets and a software on a
>cdrom, inputting chinese through a keyboard takes a lot of time to
>learn, combination of four key stroke form a word, it takes forever to
>explain it so back to the Chinese HWR,
>it is a very clever software, you write a word on the tablets, it will
>shows up the word you wrote and also comes up with the word that has the
>same pronunciation for you to choose form this is extremely helpful if
>you don't know how to write that word and you can use a word with the
>same pronunciation as a search word. Besides that it will also shows the
>next word that will usually use with that word you just wrote. The
>amazing part is no matter how bad you handwriting is, it can still
>recognize the word.
>some companies can come up with such a good HWR system within this few
>years and why BIG software companies cannot come up with things like
>that , for example plam, winCe, etc.
>Ed Cheung
>
>On Friday, October 12, 2001, at 02:50 AM, irishflyingnewt_at_earthlink.net
>wrote:
>

>> me too! me too!
>> please...
>> martina wilson
>> vice pres LAnug
>> irishflyingnewt_at_earthlink.net
>> On Wednesday, October 10, 2001, at 09:51 PM, esworp_at_mac.com wrote:
>>

>>> Ok.. Who knows where i can get a copy of Inkwell for OSX? C'mon... one
>>> of you guys must have developer connections with Apple, and we all know
>>> how many wacom tablets there are laying around at the apple campus....
>>>

>>> --

Rodney Tamblyn
Educational Media group
Higher Education Development Centre, 75 Union Place
University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
ph +64 3 479 7580 Fax +64 3 479 8362
http://hedc.otago.ac.nz ~ http://rodney.weblogs.com